How To Write A Cover Letter
Cover Letter Writing
Don’t underestimate the importance of your resume cover letter.
The purpose of your cover letter is to entice the Hiring Manger to read your resume.
The purpose of your CV is to get you an interview.
There’s a stack of cover letter examples on the internet, but if you are short on time to devote to Google, check out our cover letter tips below:
- Keep it short -
- A Hiring Manager will devote only 1-2 seconds reading the ‘window to your CV’.
- Make it specific -
- Address it by name to the appropriate person in the company.
- Ensure you include the title of the job you are applying for.
- Detail some of your skills and how they are a fit for the job description and will benefit their company – include real life working examples here.
- Showcase your research -
- Related to the above point - use your cover letter as an opportunity to show them you’ve been researching areas such as company achievements and culture.
- Make it original -
- By that we mean don’t just rehash a section of your curriculum vitae. Ensure to include specific skills and proven strengths that aren’t already in your CV.
- Close well -
- Thank the reader for reading your cover letter and let them know will be in touch within a certain timeframe to see if they require any further information.