Department of Natural Resources, Environment the Arts and Sport
Closing Date: 12/12/2008Reference #: 15358
Undertake zoo keeping duties as part of the daily care, management, training and display of the living animal collection and the maintenance and landscaping of their enclosures. This is a re-advertised vacancy and previous applicants are encouraged to reapply.
Zookeepers undertake zoo keeping duties as part of the daily care, management, training and display of the living animal collection and the maintenance and landscaping of their enclosures.
1. Responsible for the daily husbandry and/or training of animals in a section of the animal collection and for the maintenance of their displays.
2. Conduct public presentations and other public relations activities as required.
1. Ability to effectively undertake captive husbandry duties, manage high quality displays and the effective management of captive wildlife.
2. Demonstrated ability to train captive wildlife using principles of operant conditioning.
3. Proven ability to effectively work as part of a small team of zookeepers, to work without direct supervision, and to provide appropriate feedback.
4. Ability to relate to the public and carry out public relations work as required (e.g. presentations of educational talks).
5. A high level of observation skills and the ability to recognise, interpret and solve animal behavioural and management problems.
6. Good communication skills, including in computer literacy, and ability to liaise effectively with other staff in this multi-disciplinary work place.
7. A relevant qualification awarded by an Australian institution, or equivalent or relevant experience in a field of technical work closely related to the duties of the vacancy.
1. Demonstrated experience in naturalistic landscaping of animal exhibits and in environmental enrichment for captive wildlife
2. Understanding of and strong commitment to the roles and functions of the Alice Springs Desert Park.
3. “C” Class Northern Territory drivers licence or the ability to obtain.
Salary$37 525- $44 839
1. This position involves regular weekend and public holiday work.
2. This position involves regular field and other outdoor work in the extreme environmental conditions of Central Australia.
3. For further information please visit our website at www.nt.gov.au/nreta
Position Courtesy of please www.nt.gov.au refer to the website for further details and how to apply.