Marine Campaign Coordinator (Northern Territory)
Our oceans need you. Make a difference as you help to protect some of the last unspoilt tropical waters remaining in the world. As the Australian Marine Conservation Society’s Marine Campaign Coordinator your job is to be a catalyst for change – building support for the protection of the Top End’s marine environment.
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience.
Hours: Full time (38 hours/week), some weekend and out of hours work required.
Contract period: This is a one year contract starting in March 2017, with potential to extend subject to funding.
Purpose of the position:
- To lead the delivery of the Keep Top End Coasts Healthy campaign.
- To work with the community, stakeholders and government to deliver long term protection of the Northern Territory’s marine environment.
- To develop and lead the implementation of campaign strategy that increases public knowledge of the environmental, social and economic values of the Top End’s coasts and seas, and fosters support and engagement for the development of a comprehensive system of protection on the water.
- To work in collaboration with partner organisations, Traditional Owners, tourism, fishing groups and other stakeholders to build on existing public campaigns for better protection of the NT’s marine environment and unique lifestyle.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the campaign.
- Lead relevant media engagement in local, Territory and national media, including working with other stakeholders such as conservation, tourism, fishing, Indigenous and community organisations to engage through print, radio, TV, digital and social media.
- Deliver a program of public activities and events, working with other staff and volunteers.
- Engage with key decision makers including Members of the Legislative Assembly, advisors and government officials.
- Coordinate the production and distribution of relevant communications and social media materials.
- In coordination with AMCS Marine Parks Campaign Manager and campaign partners, develop a clear work plan to deliver the above tasks and responsibilities.
Essential selection criteria
- Passion for advocacy, making change and protecting the environment.
- Experience in building a targeted and activated constituency of public support both on-ground and through free and digital media.
- Experience in developing campaign strategy and a track record of involvement in campaign success.
- Experience in working successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
- Experience in community outreach, public engagement and event organising.
- Ability to develop, plan and implement projects and collaborative initiatives, including ability to prioritise competing time demands.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including production of written and online communications materials.
- Ability to operate effectively in a small team as well as being a self-starter, comfortable to work with limited supervision.
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience working in the Northern Territory.
- Experience working with Indigenous communities.
- Experience working on marine conservation issues.
- Tertiary qualification in science, public policy, communications or related fields.
- The position reports directly to the AMCS Marine Parks Campaign Manager.
- The position works closely with other members of the AMCS team and campaign partners in the Keep Top End Coast Healthy campaign.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working on behalf of the community to protect marine wildlife, tackle the major threats to the marine environment and create marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where our wildlife is safe from harm. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for 50 years.
Applications for the position are required by 9am on Thursday 2nd March 2017. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Previous applicants for the position need not re-apply.
All applications must include a statement (maximum 2 pages) addressing the essential selection criteria, a covering letter and resume of previous employment experience.
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Marine Campaign Coordinator (Northern Territory)’ in the subject line.
AMCS is a strictly non-partisan and equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
For more information about the position contact AMCS Operations Manager Kellie Ireland on 07 3846 6777