Australia’s leading resource for environmental employment, education and events
Based on the Environmental Careers Workshop, hosted by the Environmental Jobs Network, 2006 Sustainable Living Festival
1. Build your knowledge of your industry of interest - Attend relevant events and lectures, and take the opportunity to network.
2. Further build your knowledge of your industry of interest - Read relevant publications and talk to someone who has the job you'd like to have.
3. Add to your CV - Volunteering, graduate programs, cadetships, mentorships and extra education courses.
4. Create networks - Get to know and to be known within your industry of interest and get your foot in the door of unadvertised positions. Do this by actively pursuing tips 1, 2 and 3.
5. Be specific about the volunteering you do - Take on roles that would be suitable in the career you want, gives you on the job experience and something specific to add to your CV.
6. Only apply for jobs you really want - But keep in mind positions which might be able to build skills you need.
7. Put in the effort - Individually write and tailor your resume, key selection criteria and cover letter for each job you apply for.
8. In the interview - Know about the job position and the employer.
9. Put your strengths, interests and passions forward - When interviewing, volunteering and at all networking opportunities, be enthusiastic and show your passion!
10. Be clear about career goals / career of choice - Really think about what it is you are looking for in a career / industry and then follow steps 1 to 9 to get there.
Copyright © 2008 Environmental Jobs Network