Writing Clear Science Workshops - 2017
2017 Writing Clear Science Workshops
What we teach:
We teach how to write clearly and succinctly, without sacrificing scientific accuracy.
We teach you how to get your thoughts down clearly and how to increase your efficiency as a writer. We teach how to write and design documents according to audience (e.g. industry, peer review), purpose (e.g. monitoring report, journal article) and the type of research or project problem that needs to be solved.
We review the standard scientific reporting framework, how to prepare reports and papers, and discuss how to clearly and concisely communicate a research project to a chosen audience. In addition, across the two days, we conduct editing, writing and re-writing exercises, where we teach how to improve writing through effective editing skills and critical review techniques.
How we teach:
- Through small workshops that are instructive, interactive and enjoyable.
- We create a comfortable environment where you can participate at your own pace.
Who we teach:
- Any person who writes about science: scientists, science students and science professionals.
What we understand:
- Why writing is a struggle for many people.
- How to simplify the writing process and improve efficiency.
What we provide:
- Exercises that allow you to write about your own projects and topics.
- Improved writing skills and a writing toolkit for future reference.
- Editing & feedback on your writing.
Day 1: Writing clearly & succinctly
Day 2: Writing reports & papers*
- Tackling common and unique writing problems
- Effective document structure
- Improving writing productivity
- Clarifying your topic and project problem.
- Effective sentence & paragraph structure
- Document design according to audience & purpose
- Writing clearly, accurately & efficiently
(* Day 1 enrolment required)
2017 Open Workshop Calendar:
* Cost: $370 day 1 or day 2 or $700 for both days (incl. G.S.T.)
– A 10% discount applies to those who pay early.
– Full-Time students receive a 20% discount. (N.B. Discounts are not additive)
* To request an invoice or other ways to pay, please download and return the Registration Form
In-House Writing Workshops
- Writing Clear Science also offers In-House Writing Workshops. We can offer a 1-3 day workshop that is tailored to your needs. Rates are charged per enrolment.
About the facilitator:
Prior to 2005, Dr Marina Hurley worked for 20 years as a research scientist, lecturer and academic within ecological, forestry and agriculture disciplines. Dr Hurley has a BSc and PhD in Science (Zoology) and is a Visiting Fellow at the Centre for Ecosystem Science, University of New South Wales. Additional information is available via: au.linkedin.com/in/marinahurley/
- ‘I was very impressed with the approach, the activities and the tools presented to aid the writing process.’
- ‘I have gained a fresh perspective on my writing - I am re-energized and want to write.'
- ‘It was highly relevant to the work we do every day with plenty of variety to maintain our interest. Also a non-threatening approach/environment allowing all participants to feel comfortable.’
- 'Wide breadth of writing skills covered with good detail. Excellent handouts for future reference.'
‘This workshop made all the difference, as it allows time to really think about the writing process, and then practice and solidify those realisations.’
Email me Courses
Find out what they say about us
Advertise a Course
Advertise with Australia's leading advertiser for environmental courses. Only $250+GST per year. Includes website, newsletter and social media exposure.