INTRODUCTORY LEVEL – DANGEROUS GOODS, HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES AND GHS WORKSHOP: Identification, Classification, SDSs and Labeling
INTRODUCTORY LEVEL WORKSHOP –
Dangerous Goods, Hazardous Substances and GHS
Regulatory framework, Identification, Classification, Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and Labelling
15 November 2019
AM Half Day
8.45am for 9.00am to 12.30pm
Regulatory changes to be included –
- Overview of industrial chemical reforms
- Changes to Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) Regulations 2018 (Vic)
- Changes to ADG 7.6 (Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road and Rail 7.6 Edition) – MUST be implemented from 1 July 2019
- Ongoing changes and implementation of the Victorian OHS Regulations 2017 as it relates to Globally Harmonised System for the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS)
- Changes to GHS as it applies all States and Territories
- Updated Compliance Code for Hazardous Substances (Vic)
- and more…
The Australian Environment Business Network (AEBN) has developed the Introductory Level to Dangerous Goods, Hazardous Substances and GHS Workshop to bring you up to speed with the – Regulatory framework, Identification, Classification, Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Labelling of Dangerous Goods, Hazardous Substances/Chemicals and Globally Harmonised System for the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS), including recent regulatory changes to ensure you and your organisation are compliant.
Organisations have an obligation to ensure your site is compliant with dangerous goods laws and requirements and that staff that come into contact with chemicals receive appropriate training. The AEBN recommends that staff receive a refresher course every 2-3 years and especially when changes are announced.
Note: Please advise the AEBN of the state(s) and territories that you have responsibility for, to ensure this information is covered in this Workshop.
The Workshop will include:
- Regulatory Framework for –
- Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances/Chemicals
- Globally Harmonised System for the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals
- Compare how Dangerous Goods, Hazardous Substances, GHS are set up in Victoria and other Australian States and Territories
- Changes to laws and requirements
- Structure and recent changes to the Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road and Rail Edition 7.6 (ADG Code 7.6);
- Dangerous Goods vs Hazardous Substances vs Hazardous Chemicals
- Hazardous Substances that are and are not Dangerous Goods
- How to identify Dangerous Goods
- What are Dangerous Goods
- What are Hazardous Substances
- Responsibilities and obligations
- Dangerous Goods
- Terminology – Packing Group, UN Number, UN Number Groupings, Proper Shipping Name, Special Classifications, Fire Risk Dangerous Goods, HAZCHEM Code, and more
- Classification of Dangerous Goods –
- 9 Classes of Dangerous Goods, including Division and Sub-Risk
- Structure of Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road and Rail (ADG Code)
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Packaging and Labelling
- Hazardous Substances
- Overview of the Classification of Hazardous Substances
- Globally Harmonised System for the Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)
- GHS vs Approved criteria
- GHS Pictograms and Labelling
- Information sources
- and much more.
- It is highly recommended that delegates that wish to attend the Intermediate Level to Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances Workshop (held immediately after the Introductory Level Workshop) have a sound understanding of the content delivered in the Introductory Level Workshop;
- A comprehensive set of course notes will be provided to all delegates on a USB. Delegates may bring along laptops (fully charged). AEBN will provide note pads and pens and a delegates’ kit.
- Morning Tea and/or Afternoon Tea will be provided depending on which half day Workshop you will be attending. Lunch will be provided to all delegates attending the Introductory Level and Intermediate Level Workshops.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to –
- Identify and be aware of the hazards of Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances
- Make safer the Storage and Handling of Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances
- Have an understanding of the Regulations, as well as Dangerous Goods terminology
- Understand the classification, safety data sheets, labelling of Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances
- Understand GHS labels as they appear on chemicals
- Be aware of your responsibilities.
The Workshop will provide the opportunity to network with delegates and presenters during AEBN’s Networking Morning Tea.
Event: INTRODUCTORY LEVEL – DANGEROUS GOODS, HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES AND GHS WORKSHOP: Identification, Classification, SDSs and Labeling – AM HALF DAY, November 15, 2019
End: November 15, 2019 12:30 PM
Presented by: Australian Environment Business Network (AEBN)
Updated: July 23, 2018
Venue: Treacy Centre
Address: 126 The Avenue, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Non-member: $425 early bird to 30 Oct 2019; $435
Sponsor: Australian Environment Business Network (AEBN)
Parking: Early meter parking available on The Avenue OR $2.00 for 5 hrs at Zoo Car Park (located closest to The Avenue, situated on Elliot Avenue) - a short walk to the Conference Centre
Public Transport: Take Tram 19 from cnr Elizabeth & Flinders St Melbourne to Tram Stop 16 (cnr Royal Pde & Walker St). Two minute walk to venue from this location.