Technical Lead Waste and Chemicals
About EPA Victoria (EPA)
EPA works on behalf of all Victorians to protect the environment & human health by preventing & reducing pollution & waste.
EPA sets & enforces environmental standards & strives to achieve clean air, healthy waterways, safe land & minimal disturbances from noise & odour for Victorians.
EPA is Victoria's trusted voice on environmental protection for community, industry & Government.
We are recruiting for roles following the Victorian Government's response to the Independent Inquiry into the EPA. These new positions will help EPA meet the challenges posed by a changing climate, growing population & evolving economy.
At EPA you can make a real difference to your career, work-life balance, future & most importantly, our environment.
Technical Lead - Waste and Chemicals
This role provides leadership, strategic direction and technical mentoring for a waste team that sits within the broader Contaminated Environments and Waste team.
The waste team establishes the scientific rationale for the development of applied science positions on suitable waste engineering controls and the management of waste and chemical impacts and risks arising from contaminant fate and behaviour. The team assesses scientific/technical information, prepares guidelines, and delivers technical and scientific publications and research on waste and chemicals management and waste engineering controls.
As well as driving and delivering your own specialist technical knowledge, you will manage workloads, priorities and team direction to ensure projects and advice are delivered on time and to a high quality. The position is responsible for building the technical capability of the team through training, coaching and motivating team members to deliver on the applied science strategy and EPA's corporate objectives. You will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the provision of robust, risk based scientific rationale to inform decisions on a range of complex environmental issues and engineering solutions.
To be Successful:
- A relevant tertiary qualification and/or minimum 10 years' experience in an environmental discipline related to applied chemical/environmental engineering and/or waste chemistry
- Sound leadership experience with demonstrated ability to facilitate staff development, and motivate a team to achieve objectives by providing effective feedback and leading by example
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking environmental risk assessment and making risk based decisions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the impacts of waste and chemicals on the environment, and waste management and engineering systems, including feedstock, processes/technologies and outputs
- Demonstrated ability to translate and communicate complex ideas and scientific concepts in written and verbal forms to a broad range of stakeholders
How to Apply: Applicants are invited to apply via EPA Career Services. Please submit:
- Cover letter; addressing your experience, motivations & suitability to the role
- Resume; including two referees
Applications close midnight on Monday, 27 May 2019. For further information on this role, please refer to the attached position description. All prospective employees are required to undergo a National Criminal Record Check prior to an employment offer being made. Individual responses to key selection criteria listed on the Position Description are not required. EPA Victoria is committed to supporting employees through flexible work arrangements and encouraging work/life balance. We are dedicated to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment where all employees are respected, valued and supported. We proactively seek to employ a diverse workforce to leverage the varied ideas of all employees, that drive innovation and success in everything we do. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. EPA Victoria welcomes applications from serving or past members of the Australian Defence Force. If you require advice and support with the application process please contact the Recruitment team on 1 300 372 842. EPA Victoria utilise an Order of Merit process whereby applicants deemed suitable may be retained on a Merit List, from which their application may be accessed for recruitment to similar roles within a 12 month period.
Note: Applications received via e-mail will not be considered.
For further information on EPA Victoria, please visit our website.