Assistant Director Environment & Sustainability
- $101,955 – $115,005 (plus super)
- Darwin, NT & Townsville, QLD
The Department of Defence, Estate and Infrastructure Group is seeking an Executive Level 1, Assistant Director, Environment and Sustainability, to support our North Queensland Defence estate. This vacant position is located in Townsville. A future vacancy is also expected in Darwin.
The Department of Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group (E&IG) is responsible for the planning, development and management of significant Commonwealth landholdings and facilities to support current and future Defence capability. Our environment and sustainability team plays a critical role in enabling Defence capability by ensuring all activities across our Estate are compliant with legislative requirements, Defence policies, procedures, and Land Use Agreements. E&IG Service Delivery Division has actual and expected vacancies for experienced leaders with high level technical expertise in Environment and Sustainability, to support our team in various regions across QLD and NT.
This role works within a complex framework of legislation, established principles, work practices and procedures.
We value our team and expect all members to demonstrate Leadership Behaviours. Our team demonstrates and encourages initiative in problem solving and exploring innovative approaches to service delivery. We are an evolving Department which is constantly improving and undergoing change to the way we work and the way we approach our work. This role may suit you if:
- You enjoy being a leader and have experience building teams and developing individuals, you are comfortable providing coaching and mentoring your team.
- You thrive in a fast paced environment where you’re given latitude to manage multiple tasks which also require prioritisation. You are able to make high level strategic decisions whilst juggling competing demands and under pressure.
- You enjoy making things happen and learning as part of what you do. You are not daunted by the unknown, and welcome feedback for your own development.
- You have commercial acumen to enable you to make high level decisions on compliance issues whilst also balancing the required organisational outcomes.
We are seeking to engage people with the following:
- Strong leadership skills, the ability to plan, lead, and manage resources and achieve strategic outcomes. Effective people management skills are essential.
- A positive and inclusive approach to working as part of a geographically dispersed team in a large and complex organisation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly developed stakeholder management, analytic and communication skills are essential.
- Tertiary qualifications in Environment, Sustainability or relevant discipline are essential.
What’s on offer for you:
- Inclusion in a service delivery network that enables significant career opportunity across Australia, enabling different experiences and promotion.
- Investment in your career path. Building your leadership and technical skills is a priority for us.
- Work with strong, smart, visionary and experienced leaders and a diverse broad team.
When completing your application, please only select the work location/s where you are happy to work. Please do not nominate locations where you would not be happy to live. A merit pool will be established as part of this recruitment process and will remain active for future opportunities for a period of 12 months from the date of advertisement. If you apply, please ensure that you provide accurate contact information. This process will progress quickly; you will need to be contactable and responsive!
Application Closing Date: Thursday 22 August 2019
For further information please review the job information pack, reference EIG/02883/19 on www.defence.gov.au/apscareers