Assistant Director Environmental Audit
- Assistant Director Environmental Audit
- Executive Level 1
The Organisation and the Team
The Department of Environment & Energy designs and implements Australian Government policy and programs to protect and conserve the environment, water and heritage, promote climate action, and provide adequate, reliable and affordable energy.
The Office of Compliance is the front line regulator of Australia’s national environmental laws. The Environmental Audit team’s primary role is auditing and monitoring compliance with activities regulated under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 and Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act 1981. This is a core function for the Office of Compliance and has a high profile within the Office and with senior management elsewhere in the Department.
The right candidate has team management experience in the environmental compliance and audit area, thinks strategically, consistently produces high quality written materials for a range of audiences and has highly developed interpersonal skills to engage with internal and external stakeholders on compliance matters. You will lead a small team conducting compliance audit and investigations activities, brief relevant delegates, liaise with other agencies and jurisdictions, undertake site visits and inspections and prepare reports. You will have proven ability to deliver accurate and concise information and able to travel, at times at short notice.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within the Office of Compliance who are on the front line of Australia’s national environmental laws. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing an Environmental Audit team, primarily auditing and monitoring compliance with activities regulated under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 and Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act 1981. This is a core function for the Office of Compliance and has a high profile within the Office and with senior management elsewhere in the Department of Environment and Energy.
The Ideal Candidate/Skills & Experience
- Our ideal candidate, behaves professionally, has a strong work ethic, proven leadership skills, experience in managing a team and engaging within a regulatory environment, attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills in preparing briefings on audits, compliance issues, and a demonstrated knowledge of and experience in applying environment law to measure compliance and recommend appropriate action.
- Cert 1V in Investigations and Audit qualifications desirable or ability to obtain them.
- To be eligible for any position in the Department you must be an Australian Citizen.
The Department offers an attractive remuneration package, including salary, superannuation benefits and flexible working conditions appropriate to the level of the position. For further details, refer to the Enterprise Agreement at http://www.environment.gov.au/about-us/employment/enterprise-agreement-2016-2019
How to apply:
- To apply visit the Department’s online recruitment system at: http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/about-us/employment
- Applications should consist of a 1 to 2 page statement of claims taking into consideration the duties and selection criteria to demonstrate your suitability for the role.
- An up-to-date resume including the contact details of two referees, including your current manager is required.
- Information for applicants with disabilities: www.environment.gov.au/about/jobs/applicants-with-disabilities.html
To obtain more information about the position please contact Grant Liddy 02 6274 1199 or [email protected]
Applications close: 11:30pm AEST on Thursday 30 May 2019.
The Department of Environment and Energy values social and cultural diversity and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment