Biodiversity Australia is a leading Australian Environmental Management Consulting Business focused on building sustainable partners, economic management and ecological balance.
Our head office is located on the Gold Coast with regional offices in Port Macquarie, North Queensland, South Australia and the Northern Territory. From these key locations, we serve a range of industries and all levels of government, branching out from Queensland into northern NSW, and increasingly delivering across Australia.
On-going market growth has developed the demand for an ecologist in the NSW office to assist Biodiversity Australia’s Principal Ecologist and NSW Ecology Team. Flexibility exists with this role and may take the form of casual, permanent part time or permanent full time depending on the applicant.
Your primary role will be undertaking field work as required for the task, and associated reporting to service our clients for statutory compliance for development applications, consent condition compliance, community projects, etc. Opportunities may arise for you to work in QLD and across Australia where your skills are required, and depending on your capability and performance. Your role with Biodiversity Australia could have significant long term career growth potential.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Performing all aspects of flora and fauna surveys such as;
- spotlighting, call playback, Elliot A/B trapping, wire cage trapping, pitfalls, etc
- Vegetation identification, community description and mapping using ArcGIS.
- Searches for threatened flora and evaluation of EECs.
- Habitat evaluation (qualitative and quantitative).
- Preparation of scientific reports (ecological impact assessments, Biodiversity Development Assessment Reports, constraints assessments, vegetation management plans, Koala Plans of Management, MNES Assessments, etc)
- Preparation of REFs for minor works and project level.
- Project management
Skills and Experience:
Minimum experience of 5 years in Environmental Consulting. Similar experience in local or state government preparing or assessing similar duties will be considered.
- Undergraduate Bachelor of Science/Environmental Science/Applied Science/Natural Resource Management or equivalent in related discipline;
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of ecological field surveys for both fauna and fauna.
- Knowledge of and experience interpreting and applying relevant environmental legislation (NSW and Commonwealth).
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going professional development.
- Very high level of self-motivation and demonstrated ability to manage the position's responsibility and perform complex tasks with minimal supervision.
- Thorough understanding of OH&S requirements and obligations.
- Current drivers licence.
- Strong knowledge of NSW Mid North Coast flora and fauna
- Postgraduate and specialist studies in relevant fields of study
- BAM Accredited Assessor
- Demonstrated experience project managing and preparing REFs (project and minor works)
- Demonstrated experience working with the mining and resource industries, and/or linear infrastructure.
- Experience in planning and managing natural areas restoration programs and plans.
- Working with Government bodies at State and Local levels.
- Experience in Business Development and building client relationships.
- Qualifications and skills/experience in bushland regeneration.
Indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please submit resumes to [email protected] and quote the reference EC01. Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants who have been short listed for an interview will be contacted. Applications will close COB 21st June 2019.