Head of Strategy and Research
Find your purpose with Beyond Zero Emissions.
If you want to lift Australia's ambition on climate action, lead and develop ambitious and credible climate solutions, then we want to hear from you.
The Head of Strategy and Research leads Beyond Zero Emissions’ research program. This leadership role is responsible for leading and developing ambitious plans showing how economic sectors and regional areas can rapidly transition to zero emissions.
To be successful in this role you will be an outstanding strategic thinker, with extensive research experience. You will have the ability to communicate complex, technical concepts in plain and concise language that appeals to a diverse audience. You will also enjoy forming strong, productive relationships, be an outstanding communicator, and have well developed project management skills. You will represent and backfill the CEO’s role when needed.
The Head of Strategy and Research leads Beyond Zero Emissions’ research program.
This leadership role is responsible for leading and developing ambitious plans showing how economic sectors and regional areas can rapidly transition to zero emissions.
To be successful in this role you will be an outstanding strategic thinker, with extensive research experience. You will have the ability to communicate complex, technical concepts in plain and concise language that appeals to a diverse audience.
You will also enjoy forming strong, productive relationships, be an outstanding communicator, and have well developed project management skills. You will represent and backfill the CEO’s role when needed.
Position title: Head of Strategy and Research
Salary: $72,000 to $80,000 (0.8 FTE) plus 9.5% super
Reports to: CEO
Work location: Melbourne CBD, Victoria
Employment type: Part-time, on-going
About Beyond Zero Emissions
Beyond Zero Emissions is volunteer-powered, not-for-profit climate solutions think tank. Our Mission is to show a zero emissions Australia is achievable and affordable now. We draw on the expertise of our volunteers to develop our research, communicate its outcomes and influence others.
Beyond Zero Emissions is the only Australian organisation developing solutions and advocating for a ten year transition across all sectors of the economy. We are the only think-tank powered by volunteers that willingly give their expertise in engineering, science, economics and communications to create climate solutions. For more than ten years we have been inspiring action and confidence with bold, credible pathways to zero carbon.
Beyond Zero Emissions’ work is recognised internationally. The Lauder Institute’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program ranks us 50th best global Independent Think Tanks, and we currently hold the “Best International Energy Think Tank” award from the Prospect Think Tank Awards.
1. Identify and initiate opportunities for strategic research projects that can influence climate action in Australia, gaining stakeholder buy-in and approval for project establishment and putting in place project governance.
2. Develop project funding proposals, lead the preparation of grant applications and quotations.
3. Lead the delivery of research and transition planning projects, including scoping, researching and writing.
4. Establish and lead productive relationships with stakeholders; initiate and manage successful partnerships with government, other research institutions, business and community groups.
5. Clearly communicate and promote research outcomes with diverse stakeholders, including writing media articles, and giving public presentations and media interviews.
6. Ensure sound project management, including project planning, reporting, recruiting and managing staff and volunteers, and putting in place systems and processes to enhance research team capability.
7. Assist the CEO with communications, engagement and fundraising to support research, and when required, represent and act for the CEO.
8. Strategic leadership: Experience in identifying research and project opportunities that can achieve organisational objectives; experience in achieving organisational objectives through work and balancing priorities; ability to influence strategies and programs of other organisations.
9. Analytical and conceptual ability: Experience in the analysis, critical evaluation and synthesis of information from a range of sources, and the development of realistic options that support climate change advocacy; experience in both quantitative and qualitative analysis and expertise in obtaining and analysing data.
10. Project management: Experience in initiating and delivering complex strategy and research projects including gaining buy in and inputs from key stakeholders, managing the input of others, developing and delivering project plans and achieving policy and strategic objectives.
11. Written and verbal communication skills: Outstanding writing skills, with a strong portfolio of strategic work and research; ability to describe complex technical content in clear, concise and accessible English. Strong and confident verbal communicator.
12. People management: Experience in managing teams, including ensuring that team objectives and workload are completed and in ensuring that the outputs of a team of researchers are delivered to a high quality and in a timely fashion.
13. Flexibility and adaptability: Demonstrated ability to easily adapt to changed work circumstances and changing priorities and requirements; Experience in managing changes within organisations; Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to manage own and team members’ workload to deliver multiple pieces and types of work to competing deadlines.
14. Climate change solutions expertise: Experience and a high level familiarity with a broad range of climate solutions will be highly regarded.
This job can be worked flexibly, between Monday to Friday during the hours of 7AM and 5PM. From time to time this role will attend out-of-hours events (for example, evening presentations). This role will involve up to nine interstate travel trips each year.
We are a purpose driven team and support each other in a friendly work environment.
The position is located at 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne.
Beyond Zero Emissions’ values:
- Courage of conviction. We will be bold and innovative and we will have the courage to propose the climate actions needed to address the serious crisis humanity faces.
- Independence. Our research is factual, independent and free from political or corporate influence.
- Honesty and openness. We are accountable and open in our communication.
- Respect. We respect and value a diversity of opinion and viewpoints.
- Collaboration. We work with many people and organisations throughout the community toward our common goal.
- Sustaining our people. We are resilient and compassionate and recognise the importance of people’s well-being. We celebrate our successes, and continue to learn together.
Please submit your resume, a response to the selection criteria and a cover letter addressing why you are the best candidate, to [email protected]. Applications must:
- be presented and saved as a single word document
- demonstrate that you can meet the selection criteria – we will not short-list applicants that do not respond to selection criteria.
Please note that the following personal identifying information will be redacted from your application during the shortlisting process: name, phone, email and address, age, sex, places of study.
If you are short-listed, you will be invited to attend an interview, and undertake a short, written exercise. We will also ask that you bring your portfolio of work to the interview.
Questions can be directed to Vanessa Petrie, 0478 218 999, during business hours.