- Join a leadership group committed to developing our Environmental Culture
- Great working conditions | 9 day fortnight
- Newly created role based at Bell Bay, Tasmania.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Advisor Environment to provide expert environmental advice to management whilst minimising risks and impacts on the physical environment. You will be responsible for our systems, processes and overall compliance to environmental standards and requirements.
This is a great opportunity for a passionate and enthusiastic Environmental professional. We are committed to leading the way in environmental performance and you will play a significant role in delivering our improvement program and embedding our Environmental culture at site.
Reporting to the Superintendent Environment & Analytical and working in diverse and dynamic team you will be:
- Supporting the operations to achieve and maintain environmental compliance
- Identifying key environmental risks and ensuring effective controls are in place for risk mitigation.
- Developing and managing site monitoring programs (including surface water, ground water, and air emissions)
- Interpreting and reporting on environmental monitoring data
- Supporting the site in maintaining ISO 14001 accreditation and all legal and corporate obligations.
- Assisting the site in maintaining continuous improvement in Environmental performance.
- Managing contractors and liaising with site personnel to enhance environmental performance.
What you will bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Tertiary qualified in Environmental Engineering or a related field (desirable)
- Environmental management experience gained in mining or heavy industry
- In depth understanding of Environmental Management systems,
- Working knowledge of Environmental Protection legislation
- Experience in championing environmental improvements.
- Experience in groundwater & surface water monitoring programs (desirable)
- You will be a highly motivated, team player with excellent attention to detail and strong communication skills.
What we offer
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP)
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Bell Bay Aluminium holds a unique place in Tasmanian and Australian history as the first aluminium smelter in the southern hemisphere when it began production in 1955. Today, it produces around 190,000 of primary aluminium each year.
The smelter is situated on the Tamar River, approximately five kilometres from George Town and 45 kilometres from Launceston. We employ more than 500 Tasmanians and more than 60 full-time equivalent contractors who, on a typical day, undertake work at the smelter.
For more than 65 years Bell Bay Aluminium has played a significant role in the social and economic wellbeing of George Town and Northern Tasmania through employment, community investment, and using local goods and services. In 2019, the site also received Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) certifications, assuring customers the aluminium they purchase has been produced to the highest environmental, social and governance standards.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.