Agricultural Extension Trainee (7 positions)
- Are you passionate about making a difference to the Great Barrier Reef?
- Are you passionate about Agriculture?
- Are you looking to widen your industry experience?
This is your opportunity to be mentored by experienced extension practitioners to develop the skills required to engage with primary producers and improve land management practices throughout the Great Barrier Reef Catchments.
The Queensland Farmers’ Federation (QFF) is facilitating an Agricultural Work Placement Program, funded by the Great Barrier Reef Foundation (GBRF), which aims to improve the capacity of early career extension officers (Trainees).
Seven positions are available in different host organisations across the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) catchments for 12 months. Candidates will be able to apply to up to two positions. Each position has a specific description. Please see our website or the attachments for the position description.
The successful applicant will work alongside and receive mentoring from experienced advisors, participate in relevant training, engage with growers and graziers, and expand their access to extension networks. The focus of the position is on reducing the risk of excess nutrients, pesticides and sediments from agricultural runoff impacting reef water quality in the GBR catchments.
The Trainee will develop expertise in one or more of the following areas: land management, water management, water quality, soil health, and nutrient and pest management. The program will enhance the Trainee’s extension skills as they assist in delivering agricultural and Natural Resource Management (NRM) projects with landholders.
Candidates can apply for up to two positions.
Please refer to the Positions Descriptions in on our website.
List of Position Descriptions
- Sugar Research Australia – Meringa
- Sugar Research Australia – Burdekin
- Burdekin Productivity Services
- AgriTech Solutions
- RCS Australia
- Mary River Catchment Coordinating Committee
To apply, please submit the following information:
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A Cover Letter (maximum two pages), or a 3-minute video clip that responds to the selection criteria and summarises why you should be considered for this role.
- Proof of nationality or a permanent residence visa.
- Certified copies of your academic record and academic transcript.
- Two referee reports/letters that support your claims for the position. The references should address the selection criteria used by QFF to evaluate your application.
To participate in the program, you will need to:
- Have completed studies in Agriculture, Science or Environment (minimum Certificate IV);
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia;
- Hold a ‘Class C’ Queensland driver’s license;
- Be a new graduate wanting to enter the extension field or at the beginning of your career with no more than two years of experience in extension or advisory services.
Submit applications to [email protected] by 5pm, 7 May 2019.
If you are submitting a video, please send a Dropbox link.