Position Description: Communications Manager
Do you want to help create positive change for Australia’s oceans and their wildlife? Are you an expert communicator, experienced in management and with the right skills, drive and expertise to lead a high performing team as the voice for Australia’s oceans?
The Australian Marine Conservation Society has been protecting Australia’s oceans and marine life for over 50 years. We are one of Australia’s most influential environmental charities. As an independent, not‐for‐profit conservation group we advocate for the changes necessary to safeguard our oceans and their wildlife, which are some of the richest and rarest on earth.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a great team and work for a great cause. If you are an experienced conservation communicator, collaborative team leader and dynamic marketing professional looking for a rewarding role where you can make a real difference ‐ this is the role for you.
Position Title: Communications Manager
Location: AMCS HQ, Brisbane (preferred)
Salary: $88,000‐$100,000 per annum, plus 10% superannuation and additional leave benefits. Hours: Full time, 38 hours per week (part‐time (30 hours/week minimum) will be considered for exceptional candidates)
Contract period: Initial 2‐year contract, with a view to extension
Purpose of the position:
Lead the experienced Communications Team at Australia’s peak marine conservation group to drive our communications and marketing strategy and defend Australia’s ocean wildlife.
This position works closely with our campaigns and fundraising teams to ensure our communications are effective, consistent, relevant and timely and clearly convey the work of AMCS and our mission to safeguard the seas around us.
The position reports to the AMCS Chief Executive Officer and manages our communications team.
Positions that report to this post: Senior Communications Strategist, Digital Communications Officer, Media Advisor.
As the AMCS Communications Manager you will lead our Communications Team, planning, implementing and monitoring our communications activities. You will provide strategic oversight across our communications, advice for our campaigns, senior approval for external communications and publications and be the custodian of our voice, messaging and brand. You will ensure our communications provide maximum impact across our campaigns, fundraising and marketing. You will also contribute to the AMCS leadership team to deliver on our strategy, growth and effectiveness.
Our Communications Team supports all our campaigns ‐ for more information on our campaigns see here.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
Coordinate AMCS’s communications and marketing strategies and work
- Set the strategic direction for AMCS communications programs, including our digital channels, direct marketing programs and media.
- Oversight of AMCS brand and key messaging.
- Provide advice on communications strategy to maximise the effectiveness of our marine conservation campaigns.
- Build strategic partnerships (e.g. agencies, community organisations, businesses) to grow AMCS brand and reach.
- Work with key staff to ensure all communications reflect the organisation's tone of voice and style, reflect our values and meet legal requirements.
- Senior approval for key communications, publications and reports.
- Copywriting/editing of critical external communications such as annual reports, major grants or fundraising proposals or key supporter communications.
Manage AMCS Communications Team
- Lead and manage the Communications Team to deliver quality communications across our channels that contribute to our mission of ocean conservation.
- Ensure the Communications Team is supported to fulfill their responsibilities and impact and meet performance targets, and provide for their training and career development.
Strategy, planning and reporting
- Develop and deliver the annual communications work plan to meet the organisational objectives of the AMCS Strategic Plan.
- Develop annual plans and budgets for our communications and marketing programs to maximise the impact of our campaigns, fundraising and conservation programs.
- Oversee the monitoring, evaluation, optimisation and reporting on the effectiveness of our communications programs.
- Ensure CEO, Board and staff have timely and accurate information on our communications programs and activities, including our performance against the Strategic Plan reporting process.
- Contribute to the leadership team on AMCS’s strategy, growth, budgets, training, development and team culture.
Essential Selection Criteria
- At least three years’ demonstrated leadership experience in managing, supervising and supporting communications staff in a similar role.
- Excellent strategic communications skills with experience in researching, developing and implementing communications and marketing strategies and messages for a range of audiences.
- Experience in developing and implementing communications plans and activities for community‐based organisations, campaigning organisations or in the Not for Profit sector.
- Excellent writing and copy‐editing skills, including publishing, web, social media and mass communications.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal, time management and project management skills.
- Commitment to achieving positive change for our oceans.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Knowledge of and experience in conservation or environmental issues.
- Demonstrated high level of success in building and maintaining strategic partnerships.
- Knowledge and working experience of fundraising and supporter programs.
- Tertiary qualification in communications or marketing.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not‐for‐ profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackling major threats to our oceans and creating marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm. Across our campaigns we tackle climate change ‐ the biggest existential threat to our ocean planet, with our Great Barrier Reef at the fire front. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
- Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
- Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
- Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
- Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
To apply please forward your current CV and a cover letter briefly addressing the essential selection criteria (maximum two pages) to [email protected]. Please include ‘Communications Manager’ in the title of your email when submitting your application.
Applications for this position close 9am on Monday 2 November 2020 AEST. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
AMCS is a strictly non‐partisan and an equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply.
Please Note: Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. That is, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, or hold a valid visa with permission to work on an ongoing basis.
For all enquiries about this position please contact us via email [email protected] or 07 3846 6777.