Ecology - Technical Assistant
Use your experience to make a positive impact
Niche is a leading consultancy specialising in natural capital and offsetting, terrestrial and aquatic ecology, heritage management, environmental planning, management and approvals, and spatial services.
Our purpose is to empower people to create a sustainable future.
We’re looking for an Ecology - Technical Assistant to join our diverse community of talented, innovative technical experts and strategic advisors. Our people are proud to do work that matters, to make an impact working on some of the most consequential, challenging and inspiring projects in their industry.
Find your Niche – a place you can thrive
From the start of our business in 2009, we have trusted our people with the flexibility they need to structure work around their lives and the autonomy to deliver their projects from end to end. On any given day our people will be working from home, in the field, or from one of our offices located across the east coast of Australia.
We value your expertise and ensure you have the systems, support and tools to do what you do best.
Whatever your role with Niche, you can take advantage of:
Time for your wellbeing, personal development and family
- Additional paid leave to support your health, wellbeing, development and personal fulfilment
- Spend time with family or friends, volunteer in your community, or work on a personal project
- Competitive parental leave policy to support parents and carers
Recognition for your time and effort
- Competitive in-field TIL policy, and incentives/allowances to recognise your time in the field
- Competitive total rewards package and allowances
Support to master your craft
- A network of peers, mentors, leaders, senior specialists and experts accessible through our buddy and mentoring programs
- Flexible career pathways to progress in both technical and people leadership streams
- Financial assistance and leave to support your continuing professional development.
Check out our Careers page for more information.
About the role
We are seeking a motivated technical assistant to join our join our team. You will ideally have at least 2 years or more experience in the NRM industry experience within a consultancy. The role is responsible for assisting our ecology and heritage teams with field survey, equipment control and research. The role will require the maintenance of our fleet, including trailer and ATV. The successful candidate must have demonstrated experience with towing trailers and using ATVs and a willingness to assist with field campaigns throughout NSW. The position to be based in Wollongong (Bulli).
What will make us a great match
The successful candidate must have demonstrated experience with towing trailers and using ATVs and a willingness to assist with field campaigns throughout NSW. The position to be based in Wollongong (Bulli).
Specifically, we are looking for:
- A relevant Bachelor-level university degree in the field of Ecology, Environmental Science, Botany, or another relevant discipline.
- Must have demonstrated experience towing trailers and using ATVs.
- Practical experience of 2+ years undertaking field-based surveys, research, preferably at least partly in a consulting capacity.
- Willingness to travel throughout NSW to perform fieldwork campaigns.
- A desire to work in a team environment and learn from our seniors within the ecology and heritage fields.
About Niche and the team
At Niche, we look to the future and ask how we can empower people to make a positive difference and to solve clients’ problems in a way that balances a need for development with respect for heritage and reliance upon our environment.
Ecology – terrestrial and aquatic
Niche’s ecology team includes experienced terrestrial and aquatic ecologists working across a range of industry sectors. Throughout the lifecycle of a project, we may be involved in providing conceptual strategic advice, assisting with impact assessments, monitoring, mapping, or supporting biodiversity stewardship site planning and management.
This role reports to Radika Michniewicz who currently leads Niche's Ecology Team in both NSW & QLD. Radika is a senior ecologist with over 15 years of experience in providing ecological and project management services in Australia and France. She has managed field studies and large, complex projects for a variety of clients across Australia’s eastern seaboard, with particular experience in large ecological monitoring programs and large-scale biodiversity investigations.
How to apply
If this sounds like a great fit, click the apply button and submit your CV and cover letter addressing the key requirements.
Niche is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage qualified candidates of all differences to apply. Our recruitment process includes behavioural and medical testing. We also recognise the same recruitment process doesn’t fit all, so if you require any accommodations or adjustments, simply let us know at the time you apply.
Applicants are required to have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this opportunity.