Environment & Sustainability Advisor | Flexible VIC Location
Employment Type: Permanent (Full Time)
Business Area: People, Technology & Transformation
Division: Safety, Health & Environment
Location: West Footscray, Victoria, AU
About our team
The world is growing at an unprecedented rate. As the population climbs, food demand will surge. With operations in grains and oilseeds in Australia, Canada, China, India, New Zealand, Singapore, UK and Ukraine, GrainCorp is an accomplished and diverse business partner operating at scale in a vital industry. And our people are central members of an international taskforce steeping up to meet that challenge.
About the role
The Environment & Sustainability Advisor works with various stakeholders across GrainCorp’s diverse operations in WA, SA, VIC and TAS, assisting in the identification, development, maintenance and implementation of improved environment systems, procedures and sustainability initiatives.
Based flexibly from our West Footscray, Geelong, Portland or Bendigo sites and reporting to the ANZ Environment & Sustainability Manager (based in QLD), you will partner with stakeholders to:
- Identify any statutory obligations including licences and approvals, or other consents required by the business
- Interpret environmental legal requirements, licences and permits and apply those to business areas
- Assist in the acquisition of licences, permits, approvals and assist in the implementation of relevant conditions
- Design and implement monitoring programs and assessments/ audits for the business appropriate with the environmental protected values and nearby sensitive receptors
- Work with stakeholders to design and implement environmental awareness programs pertaining to developed systems and procedures, and environmental risk areas.
Additionally, you’ll undertake a range of operational activities:
- Maintain site specific registers to capture, document and execute all applicable environmental regulatory licences, permits, approvals, consents (agreements, leases, commitments etc.)
- Design and implement environmental compliance tools and conduct environmental risk assessments & systems reviews
- Monitor contractor and operational site compliance by undertaking risk register reviews and site audits
- Assist in undertaking risk profiles across the business based on sites, environmental receptors, and common incidents
- Undertake environmental monitoring and assessments as required relating to noise, air, water, and soil
- Develop or revise documents including environmental management plans, registers, procedures, and checklists
- Facilitate / lead group discussions relating to environmental awareness and training
- Assist in collating reports, sustainability data, annual returns/ annual performance statements pertaining to environmental licences, trade waste agreements and other statutory reporting requirements
- Assist in the identification and implementation of key sustainability programs and initiatives.
About your experience
Our ideal candidate has a relevant tertiary qualification in environmental science / engineering together with experience gained as an environmental consultant and/or advisor within a similar operational setting (food manufacturing, FMCG, bulk commodities, or similar).
You’ll also have:
- Understanding and experience in interpreting and implementing Victorian environmental legislation
- Experience undertaking environmental risk assessments and inspections
- Experience using monitoring equipment and sampling / testing in accordance with applicable Australian Standards
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills and ability to translate complex / technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Flexibility and willingness to travel frequently in the role (approx. 2 weeks per month).
In addition to providing proof of working rights and suitable professional referees, progressed candidates will be required to undertake a pre-employment medical and national police check. A current, valid driver’s licence is also required.
Do you share our passion for contributing to the success of a diverse, international team?
At GrainCorp, we value and respect the different perspectives and experiences our people bring to work each day. We aim to increase the diversity of our workforce – leading to a range of different thinking, perspectives and ideas that create the innovation we need to drive better business results. We aim to have a work environment where everyone feels included and everyone can realise their full potential.