Environmental Scientist / Ecologist
We are looking for an exceptional person who is passionate about the industry and what EcoFutures is looking to achieve.
The role is focused on using ecological knowledge to inform the management of our natural environment. We work for Governments, regional agencies and private companies. As part of the Alluvium Group, our people often are involved in multidisciplinary projects with our economists, engineers and catchment scientists.
We are looking for an ecologist or environmental scientist to join our growing team. You will need a passion for applying your knowledge in complex situations. We are not content with just understanding what used to be there – we want to apply our knowledge to help manage the transition of ecological systems under a climate-change future.
The role is based in our Brisbane office. We pride ourselves on the flexibility of our working arrangements so are open to part-time or other arrangements.
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant knowledge about ecological issues, the environment and challenges in Queensland and nationally.
- A willingness to contribute to, and drive, a collaborative and values-driven work culture. We are not a hierarchical organisation – we want all of our staff to have a say in the future of the company and the wider group.
- Ability and desire to work across disciplines and geographies.
- Maturity to take responsibility for agreed outputs, completion and quality of products.
Skills and Experience expected in the role:
- 2-5 years experience including fieldwork and report writing in environmental consulting, research or Federal, State or Local Government.
- Tertiary qualifications in ecology/botany/science, environmental science, environmental management or related discipline.
- Preferably experience with flora and fauna surveys (including native species, weeds and pests), protected plant surveys, Bio condition Assessments, Regional Ecosystem delineation and natural environment strategies.
- Preferably experience with GIS, including the generation of maps for analysis and reporting.
- Understanding of publicly available datasets for desktop surveys, such as Queensland Globe, WildNet, Bureau of Meteorology etc.
- Understanding of ecological functions and processes that influence resilience and adaptation under different climate futures.
- Strong understanding of environmental legislation, including environmental permit and approval processes for Queensland.
- Solid understanding of how to apply ecological rehabilitation/restoration concepts into practice at a range of temporal and spatial scales.
- Exceptional project management and leadership skills with an established record of generating work.
- Great written and verbal communication skills and the ability to describe complex ecological processes in clear plain language.
- Ability to develop a good rapport with clients, stakeholders, staff and partners, together with listening skills, empathy and awareness.
- Experience or a willingness to positively contribute to multidisciplinary projects with economists, engineers, social scientists, designers and researchers.
The role is based in our Brisbane office but other locations will be considered. The successful candidate will be required to spend time in the field (although how this is structured is negotiable)
Remuneration is commensurate with skills and experience and is subject to negotiation. You are requested to provide an indication of your salary expectations for your application. We have a generous profit share policy which applies to all staff. Note that applications are only open to applicants with Australian citizenship or permanent residency.
An important part of our business is the ownership structure. The Alluvium Group is a staff-owned business and over 48% of our staff have ownership. We are committed to continued broadening of the ownership to staff who support and are actively engaged in the attainment of our strategic goals. The opportunity is available for staff to build an ownership stake in the business over time.
See below to download the Position Description
To further discuss this role please forward your CV and a cover letter to Paul Maxwell ([email protected], 0432 981 028) or Camille Oliver ([email protected], 0418 823 382), or contact us directly for a confidential discussion.
Closing date: Wednesday, 8th December 2021.
Position Description - Environmental Scientist / Ecologist
Click the 'apply for this job' button below to apply