Environmental Scientist (Site Supervisor)
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
About the opportunity
Are you looking for a change of scenery and a unique set of environmental challenges? Take this opportunity to work within driving distance of home situated amongst the beautiful jarrah forest.
While supervising a small team based at our Willowdale Bauxite Mine, we will provide you with the opportunity to apply yourself in all aspects of environmental management on site including rehabilitation and closure.
You will be responsible for:
- Maintaining and improving activities including auditing, monitoring, reporting and training
- Managing specific environmental portfolios and projects to assist the operations in their maintenance and continual improvement of environmental performance, including cross functional projects, research trials and providing strategic professional advice to the organisation.
- Providing technical advice to mining operational departments to manage their environmental impacts
- Assisting the operations to maintain compliance with all regulatory and legislative requirements including incident investigations, reporting, monitoring, and government/stakeholder liaison.
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success you will have:
- Degree qualifications in Environmental Science/Environmental Management (or similar)
- Previous work experience on a mine site
- Well-developed team leadership skills with ideally, five years’ experience in a similar site supervisor capacity
- The ability to mentor, develop and nurture a team towards achieving results together
About where you will work
Willowdale Bauxite Mine is located in the Darling Range near Waroona, approximately 120 kilometres south of Perth. It mines and supplies bauxite ore to Alcoa’s Wagerup Alumina Refinery. Approximately 300 people work at the mine.
Tuesday 10th December 2019
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa of Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,300 people in Western Australia (WA) and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 17 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), and Alcoa of Australia’s Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker is a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 50 years. More than 65 per cent of Alcoa of Australia’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.