Lead Environmental Scientist
- Join a dynamic, diverse, and high performing team in an exciting time of growth
- Full-time permanent role located at our Headquarters at Parramatta
- Proudly making a difference to establishing a best-in-class, customer-centered, client organisation
- Position description
- Job no: 8J4JP
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference in the lives of our customers and communities.
We have a proud heritage and a progressive future, providing world-class drinking water and beautiful waterways from the mountains to the sea. We see the world is changing so we are changing too. Our people and their jobs are as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the role
To lead and oversee the provision of environmental planning and assessment advice that supports organisational needs and delivers improved outcomes for the business, customers, and the environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead environmental approval pathways and ensure assessments are prepared to meet quality standards, legislative obligations, and internal delegations.
- Lead scoping, engagement, and application of environmental subject matter expertise to improve business, customer, and environmental outcomes.
- Assign and monitor workflows of less experienced team members. Provide support, technical direction, and develop capabilities in others.
- Build rapport and maintain internal and external relationships that enable effective consideration of stakeholder needs/expectations within a business context.
- Lead innovation, continual improvement, and knowledge sharing in relation to environmental planning, assessment, and approvals.
- Participate in strategic planning and broader business directions.
- Tertiary qualifications in environmental science/environmental management (or other relevant disciplines) and about 10-15 years experience in a relevant role
- Proven experience leading the identification and resolution of environmental issues associated with the planning and delivery of complex infrastructure projects
- Technical leadership experience in cross-functional project teams that illustrates effective working relationships at all levels
- Superior communication and negotiation skills, evidenced by senior-level agreements on sensitive issues for internal and external stakeholders
- Understanding and experience with major water or other similar utility
- Ability to foster an environment that encourages safety, innovation, and organisational change.
Please see the position description for the role's full accountabilities.
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information, you can contact [email protected]
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment form part of the application process.
Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex, or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve realistic goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.