Our oceans need you. Make a difference as you work to secure the protection of Australia’s marine life. As the Australian Marine Conservation Society’s (AMCS) Marine Campaigner your job is to be the catalyst for change – equipping and empowering communities to take action on marine parks and plastic pollution.
Job Title: Marine Campaigner
Location: Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne preferred
– alternatives considered for the right candidate.
Salary: $65-70K per annum plus 10% Super.
Hours: Full time (38 hours/week). Weekend and out of normal hours work required.
Contract period: Initial one year contract with potential to extend dependent on funding.
Purpose of the position:
As the AMCS Marine Campaigner you will work to deliver key marine conservation campaigns and programs. You will assist in the roll out of our Marine Parks campaign jointly with the Save Our Marine Life (SOML) alliance. You will coordinate a tour of the film Blue, a fantastic tool for supporting communities to be active on marine parks, preventing marine plastic pollution, protecting threatened species and other relevant AMCS campaign goals.
- Assist the Marine Parks Campaign Manager to implement the Marine Parks campaign, working jointly with the SOML team.
- Coordinate the delivery of the Blue film tour and facilitate community activation to reduce plastic pollution and support AMCS campaign goals.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Liaise, network and engage with supporters, community groups, Local Councils, and stakeholders.
- Build support and engagement amongst sections of the community to improve marine conservation, particularly around marine parks and plastic pollution.
- Work with the AMCS communications team to deliver communications (digital, social media, traditional media, supporter communications) relevant to the campaign.
- Implement the Blue film tour project and related community engagement activities such as distributing the AMCS plastics action pack to community members and local businesses.
- Build on the success of AMCS’s existing marine park campaign through supporting Councils and local communities to advocate for improved ocean protection.
- Work closely with the Australian Marine Conservation Society and the Save Our Marine Life (SOML) Campaign teams.
- In coordination with AMCS Marine Parks Campaign Manager, and with input from SOML Campaign Team members, develop a clear work plan to deliver the above tasks and responsibilities.
Essential selection criteria
- Passion for protecting the marine environment.
- Demonstrated experience working to deliver environmental or other community campaigns.
- Experience in community outreach, public engagement and event organising.
- Demonstrated experience working with and engaging various stakeholder groups including community groups, business and government.
- Ability to develop, plan and implement projects and collaborative initiatives, including the ability to prioritise competing time demands.
- Good written and spoken communication skills.
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience of producing campaign communications materials (digital and hard copy).
- Relevant tertiary qualification (e.g. science, humanities or communications).
- Ability to operate effectively in a small team and with partner organisations, as well as being a self-starter, and comfortable to work with limited supervision.
- The position reports directly to the AMCS Marine Parks Campaign Manager.
- The position works on a day to day basis with the SOML Campaign Team.
We are Australia’s only national charity dedicated solely to protecting our precious ocean wildlife. We are staffed by a committed group of scientists, educators and passionate advocates who have defended Australia’s oceans for over 50 years. AMCS works on the big issues that risk our ocean wildlife. Together, we have protected critical ocean ecosystems with marine reserves around the nation, including Ningaloo and the Great Barrier Reef. We have led the movement to ban whaling, stopped super-trawlers, and protected threatened and endangered species like the Australian Sea Lion. Together, our community of ocean lovers save our oceans every day.
If you want to help ensure Australia’s coasts and oceans remain healthy and free for tomorrow’s generations, join us today.
Applications close 5pm Wednesday 9 October 2019 AEST.
To apply please forward your current CV and a cover letter briefly addressing the essential selection criteria to [email protected].
AMCS is an equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the position contact Adele Pedder, AMCS Marine Parks Campaign Manager via email [email protected] or via AMCS Head Office on 07 3846 6777.