Marine Parks Campaign Manager
Position Description: Marine Parks Campaign Manager
Our oceans need you. Join us and make a difference as you help to protect some of the richest and most diverse marine environments on the planet.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is one of Australia’s most influential environmental charities. We have defended Australia’s oceans and marine life for more than 50 years. We are looking for a passionate Marine Parks Campaign Manager to join our growing team and drive change for healthy oceans by leading the creation of marine parks around Australia.
If you are looking for a rewarding role where you can work for a great cause and make a real difference, we encourage you to apply.
Position Title: Marine Parks Campaign Manager
Location: AMCS HQ, Brisbane preferred, but other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates.
Salary: $87,000-$94,000 per annum, plus 10% superannuation and additional leave benefits.
Hours: Full time, 38 hours per week
Contract period: Initial one-year contract, with potential to extend dependent on funding
Purpose of the position:
Lead the development and implementation of AMCS campaigns and programs to ensure the protection of special places within Australia’s oceans.
Work with stakeholders and government to establish and ensure the good management of marine parks in Australia.
This position works in close collaboration with partner organisations and alliances, in particular the Pew Charitable Trusts and the Save Our Marine Life alliance.
The position reports to the AMCS Chief Executive Officer and manages the Marine Campaigner.
The position works in close collaboration with other members of the AMCS team and with campaign partners in Pew and the Save Our Marine Life alliance.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
1. Marine Parks Campaign Management
- Provide leadership, strategic direction, coordination and management of AMCS’s marine parks campaigns and programs.
- Manage the AMCS marine parks team and Marine Parks Campaigner, including developing and overseeing the delivery of work plans.
- Generate media for AMCS’s marine parks campaigns, working with the AMCS communications team.
- Manage campaign budgets, ensuring reporting to and liaison with funding partners and granting bodies.
- Liaise with the AMCS Northern Territory Marine Campaign Manager, the AMCS Fisheries Campaign Manager and the AMCS Great Barrier Reef Campaign Manager to identify cross campaign opportunities.
2. Supporting the establishment and management of Marine Parks
Policy and Advocacy
- AMCS lead for all national and state marine parks campaigns, overseeing the planning and implementation of campaigns, in collaboration with campaign partners.
- Undertake advocacy with key decision makers, government and stakeholders.
- Engage with consultation processes relating to the review, establishment and management of marine parks at Commonwealth, state and territory levels.
- Work with stakeholders including tourism, commercial and recreational fishing, offshore industry and the science community, to build support for the establishment and good management of marine parks.
- Develop and implement targeted public campaigns that build community support for marine parks.
- Undertake reactive and proactive media in support of the campaigns, and equip others to do the same, working closely with the AMCS Media Officer and other members of the team.
- Develop and implement communications activities and, where applicable, events around key campaign decision points.
- Support AMCS communications work by providing content for the website, social media, EDMs and campaign materials, including position statements on issues relevant to the campaign.
- Work with partners in other NGOs to achieve campaign outcomes.
3. Other responsibilities
- Contribute to policy development and procedure within the organisation and ensure managed staff are kept informed and understand organisational responsibility.
- Ensure AMCS Board is briefed on key issues relevant to the post holder’s work area and participate in Board Meetings when required.
- Participate in the AMCS Management Team, weekly AMCS staff meetings and AMCS planning meetings.
- Fundraise in support of the long-term sustainability of AMCS’s marine parks campaigns, working with the AMCS fundraising team.
- Represent AMCS to members, supporters, government, industry and the wider community as needed.
- Respond to enquiries from the media, including acting as AMCS spokesperson on conservation issues beyond immediate remit when needed.
- Support organisational response to enquiries from the general public on marine parks issues.
- Work with the AMCS Operations Team to ensure marine parks campaign volunteer needs are met.
- As capacity allows and where necessary, provide limited input into or engagement with other marine conservation issues beyond the post holder’s core work areas.
Essential Selection Criteria
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role.
- Experience in campaign strategy, planning and delivery to build a strong constituency of public support, particularly in an environmental field.
- Experience working with and engaging different stakeholder groups, the media and political representatives in a non-partisan way to achieve campaign aims.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including production of written and online campaign materials.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and manage a team to achieve results and deliver objectives.
- Commitment to protecting the marine environment.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience or qualification in a marine science, public policy, natural resource management or related field.
- Knowledge of and experience working in marine conservation in Australia.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for- profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackling major threats to our oceans and creating marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm. Across our campaigns we tackle climate change - the biggest existential threat to our ocean planet, with our Great Barrier Reef at the fire front. We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
- Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
- Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
- Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
- Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
To apply please forward your current CV and a cover letter briefly addressing the essential selection criteria (maximum two pages) to [email protected]. Please include ‘Marine Parks Campaign Manager’ in the title of your email when submitting your application.
Applications for this position close 9am on Monday 7 December 2020 AEST. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
AMCS is a strictly non-partisan and an equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply.
Please Note: Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. That is, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, or hold a valid visa with permission to work on an ongoing basis.
For all enquiries about this position please contact us via email [email protected] or 07 3846 6777.