Make a difference as you use your media, storytelling and communications skills to help protect Australia’s oceans. AMCS is looking for an experienced Media Officer to join our team.
You will support our organisational and marine conservation work by developing and pitching compelling news stories to cut through the 24hr news cycle and drive media to our AMCS campaigns around Australia.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a great team and work for a great cause. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, are an experienced and effective media communicator, and looking for a rewarding role we encourage you to apply.
Job Title: Media Officer
Location: Brisbane preferred, but we are flexible for the right candidate.
Salary: Dependent on skills and experience.
Hours: Part time (3 days/week), some weekend and out of hours work required.
Contract period: 12 month contract (intention to extend dependent on funding).
Purpose of the position: The Media Officer develops compelling media stories in liaison with AMCS campaigns and communications staff and pitches them to media outlets.
● Successfully pitching ocean conservation stories to influential journalists.
● Maintaining an organisational network of media contacts across Australia.
● Increasing the volume of ocean conservation media stories through reactive and proactive opportunities for the purpose of influence and impact.
● Creating effective media moments through launches, media packages and impactful visuals.
● Media monitoring to identify opportunities and ensure staff are across and responding to relevant news stories.
● Maximising exposure to AMCS media stories on digital media (social channels, website).
● Supporting AMCS campaigners with key messages, training, coaching and ongoing support.
Essential selection criteria
● Demonstrated experience in journalism or in a media role in an advocacy organisation or NGO.
● Track record of generating powerful media stories.
● Excellent written communications skills, with demonstrated experience in the preparation of media releases and generation of content for traditional and digital media.
● Initiative and demonstrated time management skills - you can work independently on multiple projects, problem-solve and manage your own work plans.
● Ability to uphold the AMCS values and work in a positive constructive manner with a multidisciplinary team.
Desirable Selection Criteria:
● Commitment to protecting Australia’s oceans.
● Experience within the advocacy, NGO or community sectors.
● Existing network of contacts within the media.
● Degree or qualification in media or communications.
● The position reports directly to the AMCS Communications Manager and works closely with the members of the Campaigns and Communications teams.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for profit charity, working on the big issues concerning the sea. We protect marine wildlife, make our fisheries sustainable and create marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where our wildlife is safe from harm. We do this by creating social, legislative and policy change. Our committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates has defended Australia's oceans for over 50 years.
Integrity. We are trusted, credible, independent and ethical in our actions.
Courage. We are brave, respectful and honest advocates for marine life.
Passion. We demonstrate commitment to and care for our oceans in all we do.
Solidarity. We work together, embracing equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Effectiveness. We are driven, professional, agile and resilient, working to deliver the best outcomes for Australia’s people and wildlife.
Find out more about AMCS at marineconservation.org.au
Applications are required by 9am on Monday 28th January 2019.
Please email applications with the subject Application: Media Officer to [email protected]
They must include a statement (maximum 2 pages) addressing all of the essential selection criteria, a covering letter and resume of previous employment experience. Please also include any relevant examples of your work.
For more information about the position please contact AMCS Communications Manager Ingrid Neilson on 07 3846 6777 or [email protected].
AMCS is a strictly non-partisan and equal opportunities employer. Indigenous Australians are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.