Savanna Fire Management Project Officer
Move your career into a new Territory- come join us in the Northern Territory!
Thamarrurr Development Corporation (TDC) located in Wadeye, NT, is seeking a Savanna Fire Management, Community Engagement & Project Support Officer to join our dynamic Healthy Country team.
Whilst this role is based in Wadeye/ Darwin, you’ll be travelling extensively throughout the Daly River/Port Keats aboriginal lands (Thamarrurr Region)
The Community Engagement & Project Support role is to engage Traditional Owners in Savannah Fire Management activities and to develop a business structure in the region, based on engagement in the carbon economy.
Keen to broaden your Landcare and fire management knowledge and skillsets in a demanding but stimulating and rewarding role? Relish the day-to-day challenges of a varied range of duties? Keen to learn both from and with the local Indigenous people? Have a yen to work in some truly remote and ruggedly beautiful areas of the “Top End”?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this role will tick your boxes!
Main duties include:
- Build strong working relationships with landowners, rangers, and other stakeholders across the region
- Support both the development of a Traditional landowner advisory committee and the engagement of indigenous rangers and TOs participation in forums and conferences.
- Facilitate regional fire planning meetings to develop and review annual fire-plans
- Coordinate early dry season aerial and ground fire operations in the region according to fire plans, including assisting TOs to access their lands for fire management
- Engage, hire, support, and mentor casual fire rangers
- Coordinate training activities to meet needs identified in fire planning.
- As the main point of contact, regularly provide reports, communications, updates, to stakeholders and funding bodies
- Explore markets for selling ACCUs
- Be prepared to travel around the Thamarrurr Region, camping out where necessary.
To be successful you’ll have:
- Extensive experience in fire management in Northern Australia.
- Experience in working with Aboriginal Organisations, including the establishment of governance structures
- A strong understanding of Savanna Fire Management and emissions reduction issues, activities, and regulatory framework
- Experience in a cross-cultural environment working with Indigenous Australians
- A training and development mindset – approach the work focussed on opportunities for all staff to develop skills and understanding
- High level of written and oral communication skills
- Proven capacity to organise, plan and manage large scale, collaborative projects with diverse stakeholders.
- Possess imaginative problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Display resilience, flexibility, patience, cheerfulness, and a willing “can-do” attitude.
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong understanding of WHS policies and procedures and actively contribute to a safe and respectful workplace.
- Competitive salary, with a weekly pay cycle.
- Generous 6 weeks annual leave with 17.5% loading,
- As we are a Not-for-Profit organisation, maximum salary packaging as it relates to PBIs to reduce tax and increase your take-home pay.
- If based at Wadeye, up to $1,500 reimbursement for travel expenses to Wadeye and subsidised, fully furnished single or double accommodation provided.
- Be part of a busy, welcoming community.
- Excellent fishing and outdoor activities on your doorstep.
- Relish in exploring the art & culture, the people, and the region.
- Free professional development and training.
Essential Licences/ Clearances
- Hold minimum current Class C NT driver’s Licence
- Ability to obtain and maintain Northern Land Council Work Permit
- Ability to obtain National Police Clearance
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Working with Children Clearance (Ochre card)
- Full Covid-19 vaccination Status
Your application should include:
- A cover letter that explains your alignment with the role,
- An up-to-date resume, detailing your knowledge, skills and experience in relation to the role,
- Details of at least two (2) referees
For a copy of the Position Description and general information, please contact [email protected]