Senior Environmental Planner
About the business
28 South Environmental
28 South Environmental is a boutique, industry-leading environmental planning and ecological services consultancy. We are Brisbane-based but provide expert strategy to our clients in the urban, infrastructure, renewables, energy, agriculture and legal industries across Queensland and New South Wales. Further detail on our services, sectors and projects, and key staff is provided at www.28south.com.au
About the role
Role and Responsibility
Due to continued demand for our services, we seek a highly motivated environmental planner / scientist to fill a full-time position in our Brisbane office. This role requires the applicant to have a very good understanding of the local, state and federal environmental planning legislation governing our client's projects, and an ability to negotiate complex development approvals. The position offers an opportunity to work on a wide range of development projects across Queensland and New South Wales. As a part of our team, your role will include:
- Project, client, and sub-consultant management;
- Providing due diligence advice for our diverse projects, including urban development; integrated resorts; renewables projects; rural development; quarrying and ecotourism;
- Maintaining a strong understanding of Commonwealth, State and Local Government environmental planning legislation;
- Providing strategy and design advice for projects;
- Preparing technical and compliance reports, including coordinating subconsultant inputs;
- Representing the company at project and client meetings and industry forums; and
- Field work – on a case-by-case and best for project basis. It is important to note that this role will not require you to undertake frequent or extended field work in remote areas (e.g. week on-week off arrangements, but rather high-level site inspections).
Benefits and perks
What does 28 South Environmental Offer
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer you: the opportunity to work alongside highly experienced industry professionals; further develop your professional skills through company-supported industry training; further develop your professional network through company-supported attendance at industry events (QELA, EIANZ, PIA); and flexible working arrangements to suit personal life circumstances where appropriate and approved.
Skills and experience
Relevant Qualifications and Skills
As the successful candidate, you will have 5-10 years of professional experience, and considerable experience in a consulting environment (Core Criteria). While we are an environmental services firm, if you have a town planning background with an interest in transitioning to environmental planning you are also encouraged to apply. Further criteria are:
- A tertiary degree in Environmental Planning, Town Planning or Environmental Science;
- A strong understanding of Commonwealth, State, and local government environmental planning legislation
- Sound familiarity with environmental and ecological principles, and a willingness to build on these skills with time and training. However, the role does not necessarily require exceptional field skills or a strong ecological background;
- An ability to think laterally and pragmatically to solve the development compliance issues faced by our clients. Demonstrated experience in this regard will be very important, and should be highlighted by the applicant;
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and interdependently as required;
- Very well developed written and verbal communication skills (confident and articulate);
- High level of software skills (Microsoft suite and Adobe suite – GIS skills are desirable); and
- An ability to undertake and manage field investigations with our ecologists and other technical disciplines that our team manages.
If you meet the noted criteria, and seek to make a positive step in your consulting career, please send a tailored CV to [email protected]. No CV will be accepted from recruitment agencies.
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have in a consulting role?
- Do you own or have regular access to a car?
- Which of the following Microsoft Office products are you experienced with?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?