Senior Environmental Planner
A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
We are truly global, and our 15,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion.
As our Sydney Environment and Resources team continues to grow, this role has been designed to assist the team in managing a range of environmental planning and associated statutory approvals. Projects could range between Environmental Impact Statements and Review of Environmental Factors or Statement of Environmental Effects. This includes co-ordination, providing technical direction, reviewing other’s work and authorship.
As a successful candidate for this role you will be able to demonstrate:
- Recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, Environmental Engineering or similar;
- Relevant industry experience in a consulting, private industry or a government environment (10+ years);
- Experience in environmental planning, impact assessment and/or statutory approval processes;
- Project management and business development experience would be highly regarded;
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies including certification/chartership where available or have significant credit towards eligibility for certification;
- Ability to coordinate various projects within tight timelines and budgetary constraints;
- Ability to see the ‘big picture’ and make changes in order to meet strategic needs;
- Ability to make final decisions when consensus is not reached;
- Experience in putting together tenders for projects covering different resources and locations, considering both the cost and benefit to Arup;
- Understanding the client’s commercial aspirations and business needs in order to become involved in the decision-making process;
- Ability to work well with people at all levels;
- Track record of supporting, training and sharing expertise with junior staff;
- Excellent written communication and report writing skills;
About the role
Working with the broader team and a number of clients’ projects, this role’s responsibilities include:
- You will be accountable for significant and complex activities or projects. This will require you to be responsible for predicting and planning future project resources;
- You will represent Arup at internal and external meetings;
- You will take a longer-term strategic view of the business and contribute to the development plan of Arup;
- You will be responsible for the performance and development of others. This would require you to provide guidance, training, motivation and direction to staff;
- You will be responsible for executing responsibilities as outlined in Arup’s Quality Management System;
- You may be involved in setting budgets; as such you would be responsible for negotiating with clients.
The people at Arup are driven to find a better way and to deliver better solutions for our clients.
“We welcome applications from a diverse group of people, including those who are seeking flexible working, have accessibility needs, want to bring their whole selves to work, and can enrich our workforce with cultural diversity.”
We offer a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including a global profit share scheme, excellent staff benefits and long-term career development opportunities.
If you are interested in helping us shape a better world, please click “Apply Now” to submit your online application.
The application form will include these questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have in environment & planning law?