Tourism and Visitor Experience Officer
- Location: Canberra
- Salary: $80,882 - $91,833 per annum, plus super
The Organisation and the Team
Parks Australia manages the Commonwealth’s terrestrial and marine protected-area estates. We manage 6 national parks, 58 Australian Marine Parks and the Australian National Botanic Gardens. Our parks and reserves cover a rich and fascinating range of ecosystems and communities, from spectacular oceanic islands and the tropical wonderland of Kakadu, to the coastal habitats of Booderee and the spinifex sand plains of arid Uluru-Kata Tjuta. Three of our national parks are leased by their Aboriginal owners to the Director of National Parks to be jointly managed by their traditional owners and Parks Australia.
The Customer Experience and Destination Planning Section is located in Canberra and works collaboratively with both park based and corporate services teams, Traditional Owners and other stakeholders. The Section is responsible for the delivery of a range of projects including media and communications, social media, marketing, e-commerce, tourism policy & management.
The Tourism and Visitor Experience Officer plays a leading role in delivering new visitor experiences, tourism research, planning and project management.
Working in an environment of such unique natural and cultural heritage will guarantee interesting and innovative work opportunities. This role may require travel to remote locations.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the tourism industry, protected areas, planning, and visitation management.
- Ability to collect and interpret visitor data and tourism research.
- Skills in policy development, procurement, establishing commercial arrangements for tourism and project management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain constructive working relationships with Traditional Owners and tourism stakeholders including government and industry.
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- To be eligible for any position in the Department you must be an Australian Citizen.
- You must undergo and satisfy a National Police History Check
- This position is an ‘Identified’ position which signifies that the role has a strong involvement in issues relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The successful applicant must have an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People. People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The occupant of the position is required to hold a current driver's licence
The Department offers an attractive remuneration package, including salary, superannuation benefits and flexible working conditions appropriate to the level of the position. For further details, refer to the Enterprise Agreement at http://www.environment.gov.au/about-us/employment/enterprise-agreement-2016-2019
How to apply:
- To apply visit the Department’s online recruitment system at: http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/about-us/employment
- Applications should consist of a 1 to 2-page statement of claims taking into consideration the duties and selection criteria to demonstrate your suitability for the role.
- An up-to-date resume including the contact details of two referees is required.
- Information for applicants with disabilities: www.environment.gov.au/about/jobs/applicants-with-disabilities.html
To obtain more information about the position please contact Lisa Testoni on 02 6274 1657 or [email protected]
Applications close: 11.30pm (AEST) on Monday 24 May 2019.
The Department of Environment and Energy values social and cultural diversity and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment.